I wanted to send out more details about where we are right now.
The appeal has been denied. Our appeal was focused on the WalMart charge and the fact that no one ever identified Chris. I had told our attorneys that from the beginning, but none of them ever thought it was important. Our appellate attorney felt it was more than important, he told us it was a violation of his constitutional rights! It goes against "due process". The reason this appeal was denied was because they said that the police officer who took the stand identified Chris as the man he arrested. Well. We weren't denying he was the man arrested! I do not see how they can deny our appeal on this basis. It has been very difficult for me to understand.
No matter the reason, it was denied. I cannot throw a fit over it, well, I can, but it won't do any good.
At this point we can file an appeal with the California Supreme Court. From what Chris has been learning, it most likely will be denied at that level as well. Once it's denied there, it can be sent to the federal level which has a better chance of being approved. Chris met a guy who was accused by his ex-wife during the divorce proceedings. She wanted to "make him pay". He was convicted and even though she later admitted to what she did, his conviction was denied until it hit the federal appeals court. It seems this is very common and one reason why the federal government is putting pressure on the state of California to reform a few things.
The issue I'm facing right now is that it appears that we will need to finally hire an attorney. I have one in mind who works with a firm called "The Innocence Legal Team". http://innocencelegalteam.com/ I spoke with their appellate attorney about a year ago and I was very impressed with her. She came across as very intelligent and very knowledgeable about how these laws and convictions work. She knows that the conviction rate on these charges is insanely high and unless you have someone highly specialized in this area, you will most likely be convicted. We knew this all along, but there was nothing we could do. Money was an issue and we had to believe that God would direct our steps. While I believe that God has had us in His mighty hands all this time, I do think strongly that it is time for us to hire someone. I have no idea how to get this done and I need help figuring things out.
I have also contacted the ACLJ who has been working on Saeed's case (www.savesaeed.org). Since this has turned into a possible violation of constitutional rights, we may be able to get help from them. I'm feeling like it is a long-shot, though, because people just don't want to get involved in these cases. They want ones that are mostly drama free and being accused of this sort of thing is pretty much worse than being accused of murder.
What we are needing right now is help from whoever can to send emails to organizations and individuals who may be able to help. I am looking for a few people who could dedicate about an hour a week to doing this for me. (Not even an hour all at once.) I will be working on a sort of "Press Release" that can be sent out easily.
I need help with finances. I think enough has been said about that.
And we really need prayers for our hearts and our minds right now. Chris has been doing alright with the news, but I feel like I'm going crazy. It feels to me like all sense has left the building. This entire case is so mind-blowing that I just can't wrap myself around it.
The girls have been really having a tough time. I've not shared a lot because I feel strongly about protecting them, but at this point I will share some. I'll leave Mary out of this right now because she is 13 and I don't think it's fair to air her struggles without her consent...and right now I don't even want to ask her to consent.
Bethany has been shutting down. When this all happened she reverted what seems like about two years. Things she has learned, she has forgotten. She is having intense anxiety with no pattern to it and we never know when it will hit. She is fine when I am around, but if I am out of sight even at dance class, she has a struggle. There has even been times when I have been in the room with her and she still reacts. For lack of a better phrase, I'm tomato-staking her. She is near me all the time for now. I will begin to push her into activities as soon as I see she can handle it. It's so strange because she went to Winter Camp and did well. When she got back she was really bad off again. Her birthday is on March 20th and she has said many times that the only thing she wants for her birthday is her daddy. It's seriously this heart wrenching.
So prayers are super appreciated. I'm doing very well in my masters courses, despite all the drama. There have been times I turn things in in the wee hours of the morning (or night, depending on how you look at it), but so far I'm a straight "A" student (I don't think I've ever said that before!). I'm excited to see where God is taking us. I'll admit I'm struggling right now, but I am pushing myself to lean into Him. Thankfully I'm finishing up my class on Ephesians and the messages in that letter have really spoken to my soul.
I wanted to update something about Bethany. I've been working with her everyday with a kindergarten level of Explode the Code and her writing has just begun to take a turn for the better! It's shocking, actually, how quickly it turned. On one page it looks very kindergarten'ish. The next page it looks like a first graders work! She'll be in fourth grade next year, so I'm planning to keep going with Explode the Code until she is caught up. Keep the prayers coming! It seems to be working! (And, she isn't complaining about the work. I think it's because she's grasping it and that is exciting to her.)
ReplyDelete