Saturday, December 29, 2012

A New Year!

This upcoming year holds so many possibilities that I feel nearly giddy at the thought of January 1st.  In my mind I think I'm imagining some sort of magical shift in my world; and who knows, maybe that will happen!  I know God is doing amazing things in our lives right now, so it is possible that we are entering our Year of Jubilee!

In December Chris and I celebrated our 18th year of wedded bliss!  On the same day I finished my last class for my BA in Christian Ministry.  I also finished my first class for my MA in Biblical Studies with a concentration in Intercultural Studies.  I am so excited to see where God is taking me with these studies.  I know that this has been my path for a long time, even since junior high.  Apparently I'm a bit more stubborn than previously I previously thought.  It took a massive shake-up to get me back on track with what He has ordained for my life all this time.  Well, I do believe that if we aren't on board with His timing at first, He will honor our timing when we finally catch on.

Chris has been doing amazing!  They have asked him to teach a class called, "Authentic Manhood".  It is a class that teaches how to be a Godly husband and father.  He has been serving as an usher at the chapel and some days he is at the chapel so much that he forgets to eat!  The other day he told me that he found himself completely alone in the chapel for about an hour and it was amazing.  They never get any time alone, they are always with others, the tv is always on, etc, so having an hour to himself to just focus on God in the chapel was really neat for him.  I see God providing these moments for him as He continues to bless him through this.

You know, sometimes I get really hung up on the fact that my husband isn't an elder at church, or heading up a traditional missions team, or other such "normal" activities for a man of God.  But, recently I read a little booklet by Priscilla Shirrer called, "Life Interrupted" and I came away with the understanding that God has placed my husband, and my entire family, in an amazing position of being missionaries in a very dark place.  I'm insanely proud of what he has done with this time of his life and I see how God is using this horrible situation for His glory.  I've said it a million times, but when this first happened...in the very, very beginning, we both agreed wholeheartedly that if we did anything at all it would be to give God glory in all situations.  I have watched my husband change into an amazing man of God before my very eyes.  He was always a man after God's own heart (much like David), but right now I see a warrior.  He was always that lover of God that we see in David, but now I'm seeing that warrior who trusts in His Most High God so absolutely that he would stand up to a giant with just a sling and a stone.

As we enter into this new year I ask that you will all be praying for favor with the judges.  We have not heard back regarding the appeal, so there is still time to be in prayer over it.  With a favorable appeal, many doors can be opened to get him home where he belongs.  We will never stop fighting to have that second charge taken off his record, but it would be much nicer to be fighting from the outside.  At the same time, we both agree that we don't want to rush what God is doing.  It is all in His timing and as much as we want our family whole again, we want to be obedient to His call in our lives. 

As always we need prayers over finances.  God has provided for us so far with opportunities for me to earn money and with gifts from others to get us through.  Some days I worry (I know...I shouldn't worry!) that I won't be able to make it, but then suddenly I will be given enough to pay my bills for several months.  I am currently coming off one of those times.  I prepaid my bills through the end of the year.  I am now looking at how to meet my financial obligations in January and beyond.

My current necessities are about $300 per month.  I have been selling "Blessings Unlimited" and the past two months have been able to earn enough to cover extra bills.  It has been really fun to look into my bank account and see a deposit from Blessings Unlimited!  Even my bank account is giving God glory!  The new Spring catalog just came out, so I'm hoping to be able to book some gatherings and earn enough to pay my own way.  But, I also appreciate any help from donations.  It helps to be able to go get the kids new shoes or what-not when they need it.  Recently Hannah grew out of all her shoes and it was really nice to run over to Old Navy or Target because of the generous gift cards that were given to us.

I will be working on finishing up my masters degree this year.  God has also put it on my heart to write and I will be working on figuring out how to get that accomplished.  Prayers for guidance in this area would be appreciated.  Some have expressed concern that I have not gone out to get a job and put the girls in public school.  Please know that I am not against that option, but it is through very careful prayer on both Chris and my part that have helped us come to this conclusion.  It's not always easy to understand why God asks us to be still or to be patient, or even to take an unpopular road.  It's not easy for me to understand and sometimes I want to give up and just go get a job so I can take care of our needs without worry.  BUT, that isn't what He is wanting from me.  He has said very clearly to lean on Him and that HE will provide for our needs (and sometimes our desires!).  I am resting in this understanding and even when I have "freak outs" and forget that He is in control, I have to bring myself back to this.  No amount of suggestions for how to make things "better" for our family will help...no amount of me thinking of alternative solutions to make things "better" for my family will help.  He has pointed to the road I should travel and it's up to me to walk it.  It is also up to those around me to help me up when I trip and/or fall...or to encourage my walk when things get tough.  That's what the family of God does for each other.

So as my family walks these roads I ask that you will surround us in prayer, encouragement, and support...just as you have done so far.  After some time it feels like the road is becoming too much or too long, but we must hold on to faith together and know that He is working...I can see it, and I hope you can, too.

I pray you all have a beautiful start to a wonderful new year!  We are praying for lots of friends right now who are just beginning their walk on a bumpy road.  We feel blessed to pray, just as we are blessed to be prayed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment