Monday, January 11, 2010

Too Much Information!

Yesterday I watched an old 20/20 show on a group of Sunday School teachers, a pastor, etc who were falsely accused. I took lots of notes. Everything they said fit perfectly into what we are experiencing. After watching the show, I took my notes and sat in front of Google to do a bit of research. Sadly, I found that what we are going through is far from abnormal. Someone needs to take a stand and make it known what is happening in our world. Here are a couple of snippets that I wrote down...

  • If this doesn't stop, teachers will not want to teach in urban schools anymore. (Chris' school is considered Title 1, which is a low-income school therefore on the same par as urban. He taught there because he had a heart for the people of that community.)
  • The more accusers you have, the farther from truth you are. Plus, there is usually a trigger...especially with false allegations. One person points and says, "That man poked me in the head" and suddenly others start saying, "Oh, I think he poked me, too!" It isn't based on truth as much as it is based in a sort of mob mentality sort of idea.
  • Even well-meaning investigators can mislead a child. Children are very easily mislead. As much as we need to protect children from harm, we also need to remember that they are capable of some pretty fanciful stories. Look at the McMartin Preschool case.
  • There is a book called, "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Gregory Lawler. This books shows how unfortunately common false accusations are.
I also discovered that those who were falsely accused and had paid representation were acquited of all charges. Those who had public defenders were found guilty and sentenced to prison. This is in the same case...a couple kids accusing several adults. The kids came back as teens and admitted lying, yet those found guilty are still in prison because of the legal hoops to jump through. This is VERY discouraging news considering we currently have a public defender who is not interested in truly fighting this case.

Anyways...prayer update...

For Chris - peace, wisdom, and clear guidance from the Lord.
For me - a renewal of faith (I'm struggling), peace, the supernatural ability to pray...I'm kinda raw right now.
For the girls - *sigh* that this will strengthen their faith and not ruin them. I'm so scared that this will turn them from God.

Overall that we, as a family, will continue to glorify God in everything we do.

4 comments:

  1. ((HUGS)) I am sad that you are still dealing with this. What you are saying above is true. I hear of a new case far too often..sigh. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete