Friday, August 22, 2014

Long, overdue update!

This past month has brought a lot of planning as we enter into this new school year.  The girls are signed up for a charter school and we are very excited about the classes they are going to be taking.  I am in the last few classes of my M.Min. program.  In the Spring, I will graduate with a double Masters.  It was not my intention to earn a double, but the way I took my classes caused me to be able to work it so that I'll graduate with a Masters in Biblical Studies and a Masters in Worship Ministry.  This is an exciting time in our lives!  I'm so excited to see where God ends up taking us!

With the changes coming up, I thought it might be a good idea to let everyone know what our prayer needs are, and what our financial needs will be.  My bills have been paid for the next six months.  Whenever I get money from school, I make sure to pay my bills ahead of time to make sure the important things are cared for first.  Monthly I will need about $500 to pay for gas ($200'ish), phone charges to talk to Chris ($100'ish), and a few smaller things that aren't already covered (laundry, medicines, etc).  As it is right now, I have not been able to make much money.  Every job I have had has fallen through.  Partly that is because others are not able to financially pay me, part of that is because I know God is asking me to fully rely on Him and not my own abilities.  It has been hard, and honestly, it has caused some insecure feelings regarding my ability to properly care for this family.  But, I know that God is so much bigger than my insecurities, so I will continue to trust Him to provide what we need.

As for our prayer needs (besides the financial), we are entering into a season of busyness.  I do not thrive on busyness and honestly, I feel afraid.  I also feel excited to see how God is going to use these classes to stretch my girls.  There has been a lot that I have not shared with others in regards to what the girls have gone through with this trial.  I have done this to protect them.  It has been difficult to be criticized for my decisions, but I know that I am doing what is best for them.  This year, we are being paired with an education specialist who specializes in special education (goodness, that's a whole lotta special!).  God directed her to me and I am amazed at seeing His hand in all of this.  Bethany will be tested for what we are guessing is severe dyslexia.  She will finally get the help she needs.  I have done my best to help her and she did need time, as she was hit the hardest by this hardship.  And now, it is her time.  It is her time to receive the help she needs and I am so excited for her.  This is also one reason I feel afraid.  I am unsure how to balance the need to financially care for the family, while making sure she gets to all her appointments.  This is where I need your help and prayers.

For a quick overview:

Mary is entering 10th grade and will continue to be homeschooled.  She is very involved in dance, horses, and is a Mother's Helper.  She was just accepted to attend some courses at IVC and we will look at starting her on some classes this Spring.

Bethany is entering 5th grade and is also still homeschooled.  She is also very involved in dance.  This year she will be taking an art class, a Spanish (full immersion) class, and a Speech & Debate class.  For those who know her, the Speech & Debate might be a shock.  She actually asked to take it, is super excited for it, and loves that it will teach her to also defend her faith.  She is fighting through the anxiety and her next mountain to climb is the diagnosis that will help us know how to better teach her.

Hannah is entering Kindergarten and will experience her first official year of homeschooling.  She loves to go to dance classes (finally!  We had to "reward" with jelly beans for a bit.) and she is so excited to take more classes this year.  She will get to take a class called "Mad Science" while Bethany is in Spanish class.

Chris is hanging in there.  He is still very involved in ministry.  He spends a lot of time working with other brothers preparing for worship.  There have been several times that he has been asked to preach a sermon and every time he has reported back that God really "showed up".  Hearing about our school year has caused him sadness as he desperately wants to be home with us.  He also feels frustrated since he taught kids much like Bethany and experienced great success.  Many of his students would come in reading at a Kindergarten level and leave reading above grade level.  We're trying to think of ways he can help her from "afar".  He has also been talking to her a lot more on the phone, which has been helping her.  I asked her recently if it was nice to talk to daddy and she said, "It felt wrong.  He's supposed to be sitting with me, not on the phone."  Yeah.  I understand.  I just validated her.  It is wrong.  But, at least she can talk to him on the phone and for that we are so thankful.

I was able to send Chris a huge package of food and supplies about three weeks ago.  Several of you helped me to get that funded and I'm so very grateful.  I was able to pitch in a bit of my own money to add a few more treats to it.  The place he is at now does not serve enough food.  It is a complaint that has been heard often.  Even in the beginning when I Googled regarding private prisons, there was a constant complaint about the size of portions of food.  The guys are often hungry.  Our goal is to send Chris enough food that he can share it with those who do not have friends and family caring for them.  It has been an outreach that has been very successful.  Loaves and fishes!  When you provide for their "grumbly tumbly", you are taking care of a need which is a physical manifestation of God's love for them.  I have a "Go Fund Me" site set up, but realized they take a bit of the donation and I am often left with not enough to cover things.  If anyone wants to help with this ministry, please send funds via PayPal at righteousmama@cox.net and reference "Loaves & Fishes". 

Just a final prayer request for me...
There has been a lot on my plate and I often feel alone in this battle.  If you all could just cover me in prayer when you think of me, maybe shoot me an email or text to let me know you prayed, that would be awesome.  I try hard to remain brave, but even the bravest warriors need to rest.  And even the bravest warriors are, at the core of it all, still very much human and very much fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment